Dedication to helping consumers make smart insurance decisions


Life changed in an instant

No comments
Life changed in an instant -
If I had met him in the summer of 03, my life would have appeared almost like yours or your friend or sister or neighbor. I was a wife and mother who works full time and taking care of his family. Balancing the demands of these roles was sometimes difficult, but I felt I was doing a very good job of it.
That is until I entered a crosswalk.
I was in New York City business and was crossing the street with light when an SUV turned the corner and came barreling into me. I was thrown 30 feet into the air. The impact broke my pelvis, and every joint in my body has been damaged. Instantly, my carefully balanced life disintegrated.
I went from being the guard having to be supported. My injuries were so severe that the doctors said that I would never walk. I was bedridden for eight months and needed help with basic tasks we take for granted, such as bathing, dressing and moving. It took seven surgeries and three years of intense rehabilitation and work for me to get to my "new normal". Meanwhile, I am unable to work and earn a living or take care of my family as I had in the past.
one of the key factors that helped me navigate this difficult chapter in my life was my disability.
Our family had counted on the income of both my and my husband. This accident and my being unemployed for almost three years could have decimated us financially. Fortunately, I had planned ahead and obtained disability insurance, which provided me with an income when I was unable to work. This influx of revenue enabled us to stay in our house, pay our monthly bills and medical expenses mount. It also allowed me to hire someone to help with my children and help me, as well. I do not know what we would have done without my disability.
I feel very blessed. It's amazing that I lived and even more amazing that I lead an active life now, including forward with my two sets of twins!
I took on disability insurance that I had then, and I maintain now, because I enjoy what I do for my family I take care of themselves physically, emotionally and I give a salary to pay our expenses. I'm worth it.
The bottom line is, if you need your income, you need disability insurance. And the only time to get it is before you need them.
See the great www.protectyourpaycheck.org calculator to see how much disability insurance you may need.

No comments :

Post a Comment